Friday, July 17, 2009

Reboot

So, last night I went out for my first run since the half-marathon in April. It was a nice evening out, so after the kids were in bed I put on my old Nike Frees, plugged in my new-used-iPod Nano, and set out for a run. I ran our old 2-mile loop in somewhere around 15 minutes (3.5 Ace of Base songs) and felt pretty good. My biggest problem was the breathing--I felt out of breath pretty early on and just tried to keep going anyway. Afterward my legs felt fine except when I was coming down the stairs--then I felt a little weird.

I also recently finished reading Born to Run by Christopher McDougall. My review of it is here on my books blog. It's a great read, but the biggest thing I got out of it was that I should have read it before I bought some new Nikes. I got some Lunatrainers right before the half-marathon to wear for future runs. Robyn convinced me that my old Nikes really needed to be replaced, even though they still felt okay, and we were at a running store in Lawrence, so I might as well get them. The staff watched me walk back and forth in my sock feet, and suggested these as something with a little more cushioning but still pretty lightweight and flexible. Well, after reading Born to Run, I'm thinking I should have just stuck with the Frees. In fact, now Robyn and I are both considering getting Vibram Five Fingers instead.

Well, I don't know if I'll be ready for the Space Coast Half Marathon (after Thanksgiving) unless I find more time to get some running in. I've been pretty busy lately with a whole lot of other things, and running isn't always a high priority. But after reading about all these amazing runners, I'm eager to give it another shot.

No comments: