Friday, July 17, 2009

Copycat copycat

I don't know, it just seemed like a nice night for a run.

My attempt to re-join the Scuttlebutts on Wednesday morning this week proved disastrous - I only got about 2 minutes of running in before my vision started to go black and I got completely dizzy. Later that day I developed what I'm quite sure was my second-ever-in-my-life migraine headache. I spent Wednesday afternoon and much of Thursday consuming mass quantities of various pharmaceutical agents and groaning. I'm not sure what tripped it, but even by this morning (Friday) I was wary of trying again. Then, tonight, it just sounded like fun.

So here's the current plan: Start C25K over again, with my "new" rules of running gleaned from the "Born To Run" book that no, I will not shut up about. If I count this as week 1, I've got just enough time to complete the 9-week program before the Susan G. Komen Race For The Cure in Colorado Springs. I ran in my flat shoes again, and no, my knee doesn't hurt at all. Instead of holding my "easy" pace that I normally maintain, I am trying to actually RUN. I'm using the pointers I recall from Christopher McDougall -- heels up to the butt, pump the elbows, mid-foot strike -- and it's actually really FUN. Whenever I felt my energy flagging, I checked in on those three points and got going again.

Granted, I just did a Week One run, so it was 8 sets of 60 seconds running, 90 seconds walking, but hey, it's a start, right?? And at the end I felt refreshed and alive, not beat-down (and let's pray for no more migraines).

No comments: