Friday, May 16, 2008

Dry Run

I'm in Phoenix--my birthday present from Robyn this year was a long weekend visiting my good friend Chris and his wife Aimee without my kids. Today since Chris and Aimee had some work they needed to do in the morning, I decided (after sleeping in) I'd go for a run before it got too hot. Of course, being Phoenix, it was already in the 80s at 9:30 when I got outside. When I called Chris to ask about a spare key he reminded me to bring some water, because Phoenix is very dry. It's a good thing, too: without water I don't know if I would have lasted ten minutes. Western Kansas has been pretty dry, too, but not quite as hot, and most days when we go out for a run I don't sweat too much. Today by the end I was pretty gross.

The run itself wasn't bad. I put my earbuds on and listened to an episode of "This American Life" while I ran. I don't have the spiffy armband holster that Robyn has for her Treo so my Palm was just in my gym shorts pocket, which is not great, and my earbuds aren't really made for running so I had to adjust them often. But it gave me something to listen to while I ran around the neighborhood, trying to remember which street Chris' house was on so I wouldn't get totally lost. It was a little confusing because of some cul-de-sacs and streets that didn't go all the way through where I expected them to, but I didn't stray too far and managed to run for about 35 minutes before heading back.

We missed several runs this past week because of Robyn's work and my movie theater meetings, but we're hoping to get a few in while we're in Portland if possible.

1 comment:

Christine said...

glad you are continuing w/running! don't you just love phoenix weather? :P